UPDATE SOUTH AFRICA
Stories Told Our Way...Authentic...South African

Perjury case against Bathabile postponed

Article by: Dumisane Dube

The perjury case against former social development minister Bathabile Dlamini has been postponed to October 1.

Dlamini appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.

The charges relate to her testimony during an inquiry the Constitutional Court instituted into her role in the 2017 social grants crisis.

The Constitutional Court’s Acting Judge, Bernard Ngoepe found that Dlamini’s conduct had been “reckless and grossly negligent”. She was ordered to pay part of the costs of litigation.

Judge Ngoepe later filed a report on the inquiry with the Constitutional Court which found the minister had not only failed in her duties but had also failed to disclose information to the court for fear of being held liable for the crisis in her personal capacity.

On Tuesday the case was postponed to allow all parties to exchange the information contained in the docket.

“You are warned to be back here on the 1st of October at 8:30 am, and to remain in attendance until your matter is called and dealt with. Failure to appear has consequences, a warrant of arrest may be authorised against you, you may lose your bail money to the state and can be kept in custody until the matter is finalized,” said Magistrate Betty Khumalo.

For more updates visit our website and remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: