UPDATE SOUTH AFRICA
Stories Told Our Way...Authentic...South African

Case against man accused of instigating violence postponed

One of the alleged instigators of last month’s unrest, made his first appearance in the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

The 35-year-old was arrested on Saturday in an operation involving members of the Hawks and the Crime Intelligence Unit. It is  believed he was behind the torching of a shopping centre in the city.

Spokesperson for the National Prosecution Authority in KZN Natasha Kara says he is facing two charges, incitement to public violence and incitement to commit arson.

“The charges relate to the incidences of looting and public violence that occurred in KwaZulu-Natal in mid-July, in particular, the burning of the Brookside Mall. The appearance was held in camera due to an identity parade which is yet to be conducted,” said Kara

According to police a total of eight suspects have since been arrested for instigating the unrest that left more than 300 people dead in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

The matter was postponed to 6 September 2021 for bail investigation.

For more updates visit our website and remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: