Article by: Dumisane Dube
The accused in the murder case of Nosicelo Mtebeni has abandoned his bail application. He will remain in custody and the case has been postponed to September 28.
The 25-year-old appeared in the East London Magistrate’s Court on Monday after his arrest for the gruesome murder of his 23-year-old girlfriend, last week.
The murder of Nosicelo, a student from University of Fort Hare student has sent shockwaves through the country and caused a stir on social media.
Her dismembered remains were found in a suitcase. Some of her body parts were discovered in bags outside her boyfriend’s residence, while her head and hands were discovered inside his room.
The accused allegedly used a handsaw to dismember her body.
Students and university staff members held a night vigil for Mtebeni, on Sunday.
NPA spokesperson Anelisa Ngcakani says there is more evidence to collect
“At the moment we have witnesses, one witness said she saw him leaving with the bags which carried the body party. And also his confession, but there is more evidence that needs to be collected “, she adds.
Family spokesperson Teboho Mtebeni says Nosicelo was expected to bring hope in the family.
“As the family of Nosicelo Mtebeni we are truly hurt. It’s an incident that is so cruel in the area of Quigney in East London. I cannot even express my feeling about it. We were looking forward that she is going to change the situation within the family but now it is not going to happen. Like that she is no more,” said Teboho Mtebeni.
The family of 23-year-old Mtebeni says they are traumatised by her death.
For more updates visit our website and remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.