Article by: Dumisane Dube
Police in the Western Cape confirmed that eight people have now died following Wednesday’s shooting in Gugulethu on the Cape Flats.
Police said five people died on the scene and while the other three died in hospital.
Reports suggest that people had been gathering at a house for a traditional thanksgiving ceremony when gunmen arrived in a vehicle and opened fire.
Police Minister Bheki Cele and the Acting Western Cape Provincial Commissioner Major General Thembisile Patekile were to visit the of the scene on Thursday.
The Gugulethu Development Forum (GDF) has called for immediate intervention by the Minister of Police to look into killings in the area.
“Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is urged to contact the police on 08600 10111. The identities and ages of the deceased persons will be released once their next of kin are informed,” said the police in a statement.
The motive for the shooting is unknown at this stage.
Western Cape police have instituted a 72-hour activation plan comprising officers from different policing divisions to track down the perpetrators.
For more updates visit our website and remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.