ACCOUNTABILITY AT THE HEART OF TRUST
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi says he will be visiting defiant schools that are not adhering to the directive that schools can only open on February 15.
Panyaza is promising to take action on independent schools that have decided to reopen on Monday morning disregarding the two weeks academic year delay as previously announced by the department.
“The Provincial education will be visiting schools that have opened.”
“We are indeed worried to hear reports by parents who are receiving letters or emails from the schools indication that leaners must report to school” explains Panyaza.
Panyaza says they are monitoring the situation, and they are also working with law enforcement agencies to monitor those institutions that are behaving recklessly.
“We have one constitution in this country and all of us are responsible for the lives of our children and therefore we can’t expose those lives to a serious virus that is devastating and that is affecting all communities regardless of where you come from” added Lesufi.
Panyaza says he is speaking to some schools that are open in Gauteng, and has given them the necessary time to review their decisions.
“Our province is recording an unprecedented number of infections and we can’t contribute to those numbers.” explains Panyaza.
Panyaza further said online teaching and learning may continue because the intention is to curb the spread of Covid-19, and those who want to defy the state will be engaged and warned.
Meanwhile, The Congress of South African Students (Cosas) is planning to shutdown schools that have decided to re-open.
For more updates visit our website and remember to follow our Facebook and Twitter page.